The Paceship Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomePaceship SailboatsGeneral Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Everyone Sailing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgancarz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Everyone Sailing?
    Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 12:39am
As quiet as the forum has been, I hope that all are out sailing and enjoying the summer.  Unfortunately I have only been out on my boat a couple times this season.  Out crewing on other peoples boats instead.  It's been keeping me busy, but I would really like to get back to working on /sailing my own boat.

How's everyone else's summer going?

Stephen Gancarz
1975 PY26

Racine, WI
Pat_D View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 3:05pm
Great! Unfortunately, my PY26 is a few thousand miles away--hence my journey to southern waters as I am able. Fortunately, my girlfriend found a nice C27 on an emergency sale ($1,000 - $1 found on board = $999) and we have been sailing that out of Seward AK almost every weekend.
Anchored up in a quiet cove, looking at the glaciers, I think "Boy, life sure sucks" ;)
PY26 "Sun Kissed", currently Dunkirk NY
madmaxd2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxd2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:37pm
quiet here.. out a few times, seem to spending most of my spare time camping and motorcycling, seems most weekends are gales........sad, read sad
Serenity View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serenity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 10:08pm
I haven't done much motorcycling or sailing yet. I was trying to get Serenity ready for some longer trips, but other things have been taking up my time. Making slow headway on the to-do list though. My retired friends have been enjoying the summer, but I've got over a decade remaining before I can take advantage of the nice days whenever they are. Weekends are too short and often the worst weather.

Big E View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 11:01am
Hi Stephan
Due to 2 feet of water from above.parking lot, dingy compound,docs lifted, water over or retaining wall.
Tall boots and chest waders that got passed around got our dingys out and allowed  many of us to get 
out to our moorings.still rain,sun,rain sun rain thunder storms.We are going to get fine 
weather this weekend the first in 6 weeks..Well you asked,by the way how are you doing?

Edited by Big E - 28 Jul 2017 at 11:07am
Big E
sgancarz View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgancarz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 12:53am
Pat, glad to hear you are out enjoying your new to you C27.  Yeah, sounds like life is really rough up there in Alaska.

Brian, weather has definitely been a challenge this year for all.  Around here it is either no wind, blowing like stink, or lightning storms.  Not many of those good days.  We actually have only gotten like two Wednesday night races in because of that.   

Peter, I know what you mean about that retirement being at least a decade away.  I'm in the same boat here.  Well it sounds like at least the ice melted up there.

Ed, sounds like you are in the same predicament as Kevin with the lake levels on Ontario.

Well we have three races scheduled for tomorrow and a distance race on Sunday. Guess we'll see what happens.

Stephen Gancarz
1975 PY26

Racine, WI
Pat_D View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 5:46pm
What is it with sailboats and motorcycles? I've been getting a little time on my bikes.
I'm also a decade away from retirement...if I make it that long. There is a persistent voice hollering "Just Go! Bag the shore and split!". I wonder how easy it is to make it working part time at marinas...do they hire or is everyone trying to do that...how much would it hurt to bail on social security for a few years..?
Many ponderings.
Good luck in the races, SGZ, and I hope your weekends were sunny and breezy, Big E and Serenity. I took this one off from sailing and did a few of the outstanding chores.
PY26 "Sun Kissed", currently Dunkirk NY
sgancarz View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgancarz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 8:31pm
Pat,

I have a friend of mine that went cruising for 5 years.  Out of that time they stayed in New Zealand I believe for 18 months, also extended time in Australia.  In those area's they picked up regular jobs.  I think he was doing construction.  His wife/girlfriend at the time would pick up waitressing jobs.  He would also pickup side jobs doing refrigeration on boats as he is an AC&R guy.

They are now refitting their boat and getting ready to head off on an easterly course for Europe next year. 
Stephen Gancarz
1975 PY26

Racine, WI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote madmaxd2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 10:19pm
just before I turned 50, i had let a blood pressure problem get out of hand.....oddly enough I had lost 60 plus lbs and my with the symptons my doctors missed it.. As a result I went on long term disability, , and finally a settlement.. It also cost me my marriage and home....I was able to keep my py23 in the divorce, and the bike.........A new relationship [with a former sea cadet lady, lol] opened up alot of new doors.. I had a great offer on the py23, bought the py26 for a few dollars more and last yr a new bike [kept the harley]..With this came a new outlook on life... When sailing is difficult to manage, I take the bike...The high blood pressure caused migraines and kidney damage and it took a few yrs to recover from that...I was told not to bike because of blood clotting but hey, that was 10yrs ago.....Thats why I perhaps enjoy tinkering on my boat more than sailing..... the bike... well, same idea.... I enjoy reading all the posts and filling in where I can help.....ps.. my youngest son's god mother is the stepdaughter of the former president of paceship yachts, Martin Eisenhower. .He was on my py23 and autographed several photos for me. .My son is starting to show an interest in the py26 and has come sailing with me alot lately......hopefully it keeps up....... ps, the camping keeps the girlfriend happy in our vintage apache hardtop camper
Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 1:51am
Got out July 26, first time for year.  Had a nice NW breeze and sailed about 6 hours.  Since it has been raining most of the days I have focused most of my time completing restoration of a 1953 Henry J car.  Suppose to have a break in the rain this coming Wednesday and Thursday,  Hopefully will be able to get out on the water one of those days.

David View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 11:34am
Getting out as much as possible. July has been good with 3 trips away, last one for 5 nights.

The Walrus, Collins Bay, Ontario
My Page
chasfrank View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasfrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 1:34pm
Had to sell Take V earlier this year........money, the root of all evil Cry

Picked up a Snipe to get my fix, waiting for SCDNR to send my registration so I can sail it.... yep even small sailboats have to have numbers down here.   Soon I hope.
Big E View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 1:20pm
Stopped in Collins Bay a few times,Walrus was there,looked good.never did hear back re the trim.

Edited by Big E - 24 Sep 2017 at 1:21pm
Big E
Serenity View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serenity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:31pm
Serenity will be going ashore soon, and I never went anywhere. Two races in air too light to finish the course, and one afternoon trip too windy to sail back. I'm wondering why I own three boats that don't get used.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxd2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 9:35pm
Same here... each of my trips out cost me about 700 bucks......missed june with marginal weather, my girlfriend got no vacation this year so any 4 day weekends was on the road..... thats ok, I.ll be back next year!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic