The Paceship Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomePaceship SailboatsMaintenance & Restoration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing a mast hinge - Event Date: 03 Jul 2017 - 03 Jul 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Limpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Installing a mast hinge
    Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 11:00am
I'm looking to make raising and lowering my Peregrine mast easier when trailer launching. Last year, I struggled with balancing and deadlifting the mast off the pavement, into the cockpit and then dropping it through the hole in the deck... not easy or for the faint of heart in a crowded ramp parking lot!  

I've seen a few O'Day Daysailers modified to a hinged deck step. I'll have to cut the mast to make a compression post, then fit a hinge. The hinge and steps are available at Rig Rite, just wondering if anyone has already done it, got any pictures? Anyone know which specific Kenyon mast extrusion is used on the Peregrine?
nuclam
Administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 3:38am
Welcome to the Forum Christopher,

We have had about 83 Peregrine members come through over the 20 or so years that The Paceship Website has been about and still have some 65 on the roster and during that time I do not remember anyone asking or needing to add a mast hinge on their boat. 

Although I have not sailed a Peregrine I have sailed a couple of the larger unballasted boats and really don't remember having a difficulty rigging them. 

Usually the masts are mounted on brackets that make slipping into the hole pretty easy if you are standing inside the hull. I presume you have this kind of rig.  How heavy is your mast?  You do have the original aluminum mast as well correct? 

Now this said, you do not have to get a hing that stays fixed to the upper portion.  You just need to have one pin that you can slide in to act as a hinge until you get the mast up then another pin you can slid in to lock it in. You will just to select the size that will fit your mast size from Rig Rite to make it work.  you can try to give them a call but I understand their customer support department is not the greatest.  Trace a profile of you mast, scan it and email it to me with dimensions and I will take a look for you if you like.

Edited by Administrator - 05 Jul 2017 at 9:27am
Jay Moran
Founder, The Paceship Website
My PPP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic