The Paceship Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomePaceship SailboatsGeneral Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PY23K as a Coastal Cruiser

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote py23kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PY23K as a Coastal Cruiser
    Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:48pm
I just joined the forum and I am wondering if others could share their experience cruising the coast in salt water on a Paceship PY23K. How far offshore have you ventured, have you sailed her at night, single handed her and if so did you rig up jack lines and tie off with a lanyard? How many nights have you stayed aboard, let's say with just a crew of two. Would love to know how you outfit her? What I'm getting at is to learn how others have stretched the limits of this otherwise small sailboat. i.e. Florida to Maine or just in your own local harbor.

Administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 4:18am
I owned a PY26 in which I have had almost 6000 hours of sailing (80% single handed) but am completely familiar and sailed some on the PY23.  There is little difference between the full keel and Keel/CB Version.  The K has one main benefit and that is one less maintenance and leak point. I think for two people they are more than adequate as a coastal cruiser.And I mean just that...stick to the coast...she is not meant to be a blue water boat. When I say stick to the coast I mean be close enough to get to a safe harbor within say 4-6 hours of reported bad weather...about 25 miles max.

No matter what boat, unless you are going to stick very close to safe port I would always rig for safety. My boat was rigged with jack lines 100% of the time and everyone wore a harness at all times and an auto inflating life jackets in weather. We got into the habit of snapping in when going forward even though I sailed in most recently Florida and falling overboard was actually pleasant there! 

I sailed my PY all over the southern Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico and quite often at night frequently with autopilot if I was singlehanding. It was great.  Highly recommend it! Although the 26 is Blue water capable and a lot more stable than the 23, the 23 if sailed with proper seamanship will take care of you well. 

Anyway, for a couple of people she is big enough to go from Maine to Florida in reasonable comfort. Just do it safely as I have noted above.  Falling overboard in Florida is no big deal (except for the sharks!) but up in Maine unless you get hauled out in 30 minute you could well get a case dead from hypothermia!

Jay Moran
Founder, The Paceship Website
My PPP
sgancarz View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgancarz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:00am
Last year one of the forum members made his way around the bottom half of Lake Michigan and did a night crossing of the Lake in September in his PY23 C/B.  Here is a link to his blog about the trip.

Edited by sgancarz - 21 Mar 2017 at 1:00am
Stephen Gancarz
1975 PY26

Racine, WI
Administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:21am
That is a great piece...you know if Andrew were to post that on his PPP in his links page he would get great global play on the thib!!!  Hey Andrw...give it a try!!!

That is what the Paceship website is all about!!!

Edited by Administrator - 21 Mar 2017 at 2:22am
Jay Moran
Founder, The Paceship Website
My PPP
Ziggler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ziggler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 7:23pm
Hello py23kman:

Sounds like you have some adventures ahead. In my PY23 in the San Juan Islands and she's performed well in difference conditions. Here's a video of last summer, see the latter part of the video for 20+ knots of wind. I'm very conservative sailor, so echo Jay's cautions about how far out you should go in a PY23. Still, I have heard one story of a PY23 crossing from Vancouver Island to Vancouver BC (mainland) getting hit with 70 knots and 10 foot waves... and she weathered it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPrBnwXoh4U
Chris ("Zeitgeist" 1979 PY 23)
Serenity View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serenity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 10:11pm
I plan on using my PY23 for more coastal cruising. I have sailed Serenity at night, but no overnight passages. We have had 3 people aboard for as much as 3 days and 2 nights, but I wouldn't  have more that 2 aboard for anything longer. Space and storage are very limited.

In 11 years we have not left the Bay of Exploits aboard Serenity, but this summer I am seriously considering doing the cruising clubs Little Bay Islands trip. That one spans 5-7 days and will cover over 100nm.

LBI northern route

Like Jay was saying, the boat will handle anything not too extreme. Any smaller vessel will be uncomfortable for extended periods in rough waters. For me, at 30 knots of wind I'd be seeking shelter. Other than that, the waters you are in don't matter. Just go sailing. Be safe, and have fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic