The Paceship Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomePaceship SailboatsGeneral Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Launching PY23K

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote py23kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Launching PY23K
    Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 12:35pm
Thought I'd lend my method of launching my PY23K from my trailer. With the fixed keel, the boats up on rollers. I have built a 30ft long dolly using 3x4 galvanized tubing with solid wheels and a trailer ball on one end and a trailer hitch on the other. AT HIGH TIDE, I back the boat trailer with the trailer wheels sitting at the water's edge. Next I block the trailer wheels and disconnect the truck to trailer hitch. Next I pull my dolly off my trailer (it is tied down under the boat during transport), pull my truck ahead so I can connect my truck to the dolly and the dolly to the boat trailer. It is crucial to have the dolly directly aligned with the centerline of the boat. With the truck wheels straight, I put it in neutral and let her slide in the water and float off while a helper holds a line to the boat. Best if this is done adjacent to a dock to tie her off.

Of course the mast is stepped before going in. I use a gin pole withe block and tackle. With a 2600lb displacement, I try to keep her no more than 7 miles offshore ALWAYS watching the weather but with the full keel leaving me with a low CG, she is quite seaworthy.

The PY23K is a mobile coastal cruiser that you can take anywhere and launch yourself. The PY26 with its 8'-6 beam and 6000lb displacement makes my boat toe more easily self transportable. I throw my gear in the V-Berth, and have outfitted her to cruise up to three nights where I usually grab a temp mooring and find a local B&B. I like my boat and live in New England. Somehow a larger boat's upkeep has never appealed to me. She's a 1978 with a good list of upgrades. The centerboard version is certainly easier to trailer but surviving a knockdown with a strong gust at sea makes me favor the full fin keel.
sgancarz View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgancarz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:17pm
Glenn, welcome to the forum.
Stephen Gancarz
1975 PY26

Racine, WI
gotwind View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gotwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 2:13pm
Welcome to the forum! Not many PY23K's around that I know of. Any pictures of the dolly set up?
1974 PY23 "Barely Awake"
First Production PY23!
py23kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote py23kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 2:27pm
I'll get some dolly pictures when I put her in sometime mid to late May but for now, the dolly's still buried in snow up in New England".
Administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:01pm
A correction, an affirmation and a misconception!

First the PY26 has a 9'6 beam making her a "wide load" in most states and provinces and dang well untrailerable boat for the average trailer sailor.!  Of course that gives her lots of room and lots of other great attribute but...

The PY23 totally fits the bill better than most for what she was designed for...a trailer sailing coastal cruiser and she does it exceedingly well having won awards far and wide for same.

As for the fin keel and knock downs...sorry, that little amount of iron does not do much for you in same statically. In fact, the CB version does more because of its greater moment arm (depth)  and actually has a little more ommfff but more importantly because when down it reaches another foot and 1 inch down into the water it has more "dynamic" resistance to blow over (you know like putting your hand ut the window going out the road).

However, as I said in another post, I like the fin keel for not having the maintenance issues of the cb version  and hey, except in some cases of specific need, I just don't see what another foot less really buys you.  I can anchor another 10 feet out! As a blue water sailor, I can do without another hole in the bottom of the boat! 

Welcome to the Forum Glenn.  Make sure you sign up for the main site to gain the full benefits of membership!

Edited by Administrator - 22 Mar 2017 at 1:02am
Jay Moran
Founder, The Paceship Website
My PPP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic