The Paceship Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomeThe Paceship Website Direction & GovernanceGeneral Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mast will not pull out of the base

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:33am
Oh well... Maybe I just got lucky.
1978 PY26 "Lazy Lady"
Big E View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 6:24pm
Hi Stephhen
Can't believe it, you and I with the same problem and went through the exact procidures that
I have gone through,I tried the propane torch on the keel plate  as I thought it expand away
from then mast base,no luck, then the mast base while using the chisel and hammer,no luck.
I am going to saw under the mast base each side to about the skeg on the base and chisel it
 to come free, if not I guess I will have to remove the screws holding the mast to base.
I just hope the screws will come out without snapping off,did yours come out with out a problem?
I have been able to keep my bilge basically dry but a bit of rain comes down the mast and runs
out the two small drain holes above the base,the mast still looks near new,never thought this
could happen.I am sure you felt the same way.Ed

Edited by Big E - 15 Nov 2016 at 6:47pm
Big E
sgancarz View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgancarz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 4:23pm
Ed, my mast came out of the boat ok. My issue was getting the portion out of the mast. If I remember right, the screws were already out. I did chase the threads and installed new screws with plenty of anti-sieze. Also slathered up the base before re-inserting it.
Stephen Gancarz
1975 PY26

Racine, WI
Big E View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 6:50pm
WHEN? I get my mast out it will be greased before it gets re stepped in the keel base as I never
want go through this again, I have sawed under the mast base about 1in. on each of the skeg
and tried popping it free with a chisel and heavy hammer.. did not budge..So I will cut in about
 an inch more each side and see if it helps,may as well try the torch a chisel at the same time.
This just blows me away Confused
Big E
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic