The Paceship Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomePaceship SailboatsGeneral Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Documentation Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlaskowsky73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Documentation Help
    Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 9:08pm
G'day! I own a 1980 PY26 shoal keel sailboat and I am trying to get it USCG documented. I am filling out the application for simplified measurement form and need some help on the hull shape distinct vs. integral keel and the overall depth. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 12:56am
Hey John,

I believe the boat would be considered integral keel.

The depth as I recall uses a kind of odd measurement from the deck top at or near amidshipsto the keel bottom.  I do not think they include the centerboard in this measurement but it's been a long time so I am not sure. However, since they are really trying to figure out the volume of water the entire hull can displace to determine it's tonnage, the centerboard is superfluous I think.

IS this what you are looking for? Since you are in Florida I appreciate your boat may be in the water so making the measurement might be tough unless you do scuba in which case it might be we can get some help from someone who has their PY26 Keel/Centerboard version on the hard!

Advise!
Jay Moran
Founder, The Paceship Website
My PPP
jlaskowsky73 View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlaskowsky73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 3:10pm
Thank you for the reply Jay. I was thinking it was a distinct hull type. I was hoping that someone that has a documented PY26 would chime in with their measurements on the actual documentation. I am surprised that there is not this info on the PY26 stats that I have found elsewhere on the internet. I found many sites that offer detailed measurements, but none with hull type and overall depth. I would think this would be common being that at one time these boats were financed and documented.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 3:26pm
Well, hull type...your call.

I think you will find many boats are not documented. Indeed few are. Having been around sailboats for 50 years I have found few owners who bother even though the benefits are worthwhile in doing so. Only some lenders require it and titles have replaced the requirement for many lenders.

We have not had a call for documentation dimensions so we have not made an effort to provide them. I guess that alone tells the story.

Once you get yours documented, we would be happy to receive your documentation so we can post the info on the site.

Wish we could have been of more help.

Edited by Administrator - 25 Mar 2015 at 3:33pm
Jay Moran
My PPP
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlaskowsky73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 3:32pm
Thanks Jay! I love this site I have used it a lot. Very well put together and run. When I do get it documented I sure will post the dimensions. Have a great day!!!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 3:35pm
We as a group of Paceshipers here and on the main site have made it what it is and I say for all our Paceshippers THANKS for the kuddos!
Jay Moran
My PPP
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlaskowsky73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 9:44am
You are right Jay! the hull type is definitely a integral keel. With help from the diver who cleans the bottom and the manager of the marina we came up with the overall depth to be 6'6". Thanks for your help and insight.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 2:37pm
I just scaled it off of one of the line drawings on the site and came up with 6' 2.4" so that is pretty close. Good to know the drawings are close. 

In reality they mainly want to know what it exceeds the minimum tonnage requirement for documenting and although their rule of thumb is that 26 footers or larger generally qualify, the big ole fat belly of the PY26 will easily push it over the line!

Anyway glad you got a measured number and wish we could have helped you out.

Please keep us posted on your documenting progress!
Jay Moran
My PPP
Pat_D View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 2:40pm
Hey, how did the documentation go?  I'm going down that road now, hoping to hit the Caribbean Islands this winter.
Where was the boat built?  I have an AMF 1979 version.  Now I need to find that place on the site where Jay(?)  broke the hull numbers down, to find the month of manufacture...

PY26 "Sun Kissed", currently ̶
D̶e̶t̶r̶o̶i̶t̶ 2016
̶ ̶D̶u̶n̶k̶i̶r̶k̶ ̶N̶Y̶ 2017
Kingston NY 2017
Pat_D View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 3:27pm
From a post:
"All the hulls continued to be made in Mahone bay and shipped to CT for assembly and fitting."

Does that mean it is a Nova Scotia manufacture?  Made in Canada?

(Rats I was going for Bering sea crab, too)
D̶e̶t̶r̶o̶i̶t̶ 2016
Kingston NY 2017
Pat_D View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 8:43pm
Hellooooooooo!
What did you find about city of construction?
D̶e̶t̶r̶o̶i̶t̶ 2016
Kingston NY 2017
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic