The Paceship Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomePaceship SailboatsGeneral Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PY23 Galley Cabinet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PY23 Galley Cabinet
    Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 4:55pm

Hello everyone

I picked up my 1979 PY23 last summer.  Other than needing some cosmetics its in very good shape.  Some pictures I've seen showed a galley cabinet with sink and cupboards which doubled as the companionway steps.  Was this an accessory on 'all' PY23s?  This feature is missing on mine, though a previous owner installed a nice teak stair set, and a junky looking shelving unit in the cubby below the companionway.

I'd guess that the sink plumbing might have been an issue not bothered to be repaired.  Also wondering if they all had water tanks in the foreward locker beneath the V-birth?  I don't remember seeing one, but might not have noticed.

send pics if you have them
best reards
launch isn't far away

David
The Walrus, Collins Bay, Ontario
My Page
chasfrank View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chasfrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 6:11pm
David,

Welcome to the forum, and to PY23 ownership. Not too sure but I do believe they did all come with galleys ( some with different cabinet styles). Look at my posts for what I found on mine when I bought it ( "take five" 's list) Insect damage.

I am in the process ( slowly though) of generating measurements of my galley parts so they could be used to rebuild a galley.

Now that I know some-one else is need, I will concentrate on getting the drawings done sooner Wink

Folks here have been more than generous with assistance and info, so ask away and I will help as I can.

Charles
Serenity View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Serenity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 7:05pm
Water tank

Galley

Airway Tony View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Airway Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 8:30pm
Peter, Serenity has the nicest original interior I've seen. Definitely envious! BTW, welcome to the forum to "The Walrus" and  David (any reference to the Beatles?).

Edited by Airway Tony - 23 Mar 2014 at 8:34pm
Tony-Airway/'76 PY23
sgancarz View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgancarz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 8:49pm
David,

Welcome to the forum. In looking at the 1976 price sheet, it looks like the galley was an option. The water tank went with that option. So, no galley, no water tank. Also the teak steps would have been standard if there was no galley.

Edited by sgancarz - 23 Mar 2014 at 8:52pm
Stephen Gancarz
1975 PY26

Racine, WI
David View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 10:06pm
Hey Chas

Thanks, and yes, keep me in mind when you have the measurements to post online.  The Walrus is my first sailboat so the learning curve is steep right now.  Getting lots of friendly helpful advice from the Pace members.

cheers

David
My Page
David View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 10:13pm
Wow, nice pics Peter.  Thanks so much for posting them.

One of the nice things about The Walrus is that it was immediately sailable last year.  John, the previous owner, had it completely decked out, ready to go, clean, lots of extras.  The only things on the list of chores are  "nice to do"  cosmetics like upholstery, carpet and getting a shine on the deck.

regards

D
BTW - there is a water tank then, just never bothered with it yet.

Edited by David - 23 Mar 2014 at 10:16pm
My Page
NJAYNES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJAYNES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 5:35pm
This is my first post on the forum. We recently bought a '79 PY23 in severe need of restoring. We love 'messing about in boats' almost as much as sailing,though. Built a 45 Starratt from the bare hull back in the 90s. Launched '94. Cruised/did mission work in Honduras, four years. Drew six feet- on this west FL coast - not a good match. Sold her - marina bill too high, parents had severe health issues. Long story - anyway - our new PY was rebuilt inside by someone using Home Depot materials - and poorly. We want to restore. Have plenty of teak left over from the 45'. The pics supplied above and the related info was prayer answered. So glad to have found this site. Galley is a small box with sink and Whale not attached to anything - just sliding back and forth between the settees. We are having fun now. The boat is in a slip but coming home soon on a trailer we are adapting. Water tank is under cockpit, mast is wired with 2-wire 10 house wiring. Lots to do.
NJAYNES
NJAYNES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJAYNES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:48pm
Well, got the mast down and home, cleaned out all the upholstery and loose items. Looks like the shroud attachments on deck are put on with regular SS screws! Plate has room under it outboard about 1/16" above the deck. Boots on spreaders were wired on with telephone wire and had turned to goo. So far so good. Hull seems sound, bilge pretty dry, lots of non-SS fasteners. Going to have the marina haul her and put her on trailer since swing keel pendant is missing. Tube has corroded holes where pendant was, both where stopper knot went and where cleat should be. Block is there but no pendant. Broom handle finds crunchy stuff in the slot. Unsure if there is a keel or not. Keel bolts seem clean and intact. More later. No anchor locker in bow.

NJAYNES
David View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 11:06pm
Hello Nelinda! Welcome to the group.

Sure sounds like you've got a lot of chores to get your new PY ready to sail. The 'chain plates' which secure the bottom ends of your shrouds also pass through the deck and are bolted to the bulkheads inside the cabin. Look on the walls between the cabins. Those little SS screws aren't the only thing holding the shrouds. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing pics as you do the refit. Cheers

David
My Page
NJAYNES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJAYNES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 8:30pm
Really enjoying this forum. Misstated the year of our Pace - it is a 1976 - maybe - one of those that the state of FL issued a hull number for whatever reason. It begins with FLZ and has a long string of numbers ending with 76. Anyway - we can see the chain plates but additions to the main bulkhead on both faces with half-inch pine tongue-in-grooved varnished paneling has made the area above the bulkheads difficult to view. Afraid to remove the paneling until we haul her and get her home - she may need the extra support on the hull. We are in planning mode now. Making alterations to a trailer we hauled a Helms 25 home on a year ago. Difference in bottom profile dictated a change in the trailer bed shape. Husband is making those changes in between other chores. Hopefully we will be able to get her hauled and home to our 5 acres soon so we can really see what we are getting into. Will keep you posted. After our 45 Starratt that we sailed for 4 years, making 4 round trips to the Bay Islands offshore of Honduras, the Pace seems like a toy - but we really like the idea of not having a marina bill! Belated Happy Thanksgiving to all.
NJAYNES
bcc101 View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcc101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 7:09pm
I have not checked the site in a bit.
I have a 78 PY23K we purchased last year. It was pretty messy so the first thing was to remove most of the interior except the bulkheads. Then a thorough cleaning. Not much time to do much else as winter was approaching. We did, however discover several spots where the core was wet. I removed the hatch covers and drilled a lot of holes through the top layer of glass.

During the winter I recored the hatch covers and serviced the winches .

This Summer I attacked the deck. Actually had to remove more than I planned.
Using Baltec balsa and WEST epoxy most of the bad spots have been repaired.

I am somewhat hampered by having the boat outdoors under a tarp. Work sessions revolve around the weather and other commitments.

This Winter we are intending to redesign the cabinet. Got rid of the cooler as we will use a carry on. The water tank is now used as part of our watering system for he gardens. It had been full of a brown liquid when we got the boat. Will use a small water supply.
If possible I need to crawl in the lazerette and figure out some bilge pump arrangement.
Good luck with your boat
Administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 2:52pm
Welcome Nelinda,

I am sure you will find lots of info and help on your PY from the main site as well as the significant band here!

You should find your REAL HIN in the same place they put em on all boats post 1972.  It will be on the outer, upper, starboard transom just under the rub rail.  The HIN is cast into every hull when it was laid up. 

I have seen evidence of HINs being partially or completely obscured by hull pain added over the years and one case where a boat received major transom damage and the HIN was destroyed in the repair process.

Florida is also loosey goosey on HINs.  All an owner has to do is swear that the boat does not have a HIN (but usually only because they did not know where to look for it!) and FL will be happy to assign it an FLZ HIN.

In short your REAL HIN is likely there somewhere!

BTW have you found your Hull Number placard?

Again, Welcome to the Forum!    
Jay Moran
Founder, The Paceship Website
My PPP
chasfrank View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasfrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 8:06pm
All;

I still have the cabinet pieces that survived should any-one need them for templates. I've had to put my boat on the market and will no longer need them. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic