The Paceship Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum HomePaceship SailboatsMaintenance & Restoration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rub Rail on PY26 - Event Date: 05 Jul 2013 - 31 Dec 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JALaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Rub Rail on PY26
    Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 10:27am
I am a new owner of a '78 PY26 and am working on a long list of items.  Less critical (probably next spring job) is to replace a very beaten up rub rail.  The original was plastic and not very durable it seems.  Has anyone replaced the rub rail and do you have advice on installation?  Thanks!
JALaman
Paceship PY26, "Insouciance"
Sail from Ludington, MI, Live in State College, PA
Administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 6:12pm
I used these guys many moons ago http://barbourcorp.com/marine-products.htm but I do not remember which profile it is...but they had something that worked or got it.  it would be Semi-rigid Rubrails with Vinyl Inserts.  You can use most anything that will fit.  See their catalog.  I remember looking around at a time when the net was relatively youung and the prices were all over the lot.  Although it looks somewhat frail, it lasts a long time!
Jay Moran
Founder, The Paceship Website
My PPP
sgancarz View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgancarz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 7:51pm
Another popular manufacturer is Taco Marine.  Looks like there are several distributors out there.  Not sure which design is the original.
Stephen Gancarz
1975 PY26

Racine, WI
sgancarz View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgancarz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 12:13am
So a little off topic here, how did you enjoy the Queens Cup?  Saw a PY23 there in the harbor.  Might want to catch up with them to talk Paceship!
Stephen Gancarz
1975 PY26

Racine, WI
Squidd View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 9:11pm
I made all new rub rails and toe rails out of Cumuru (Brazilian hardwood similar to teak or ipe)

Original toe rails were gone... and old rub rail was wood that had seen it's better days...

Peeled it off and replaced with Cumuru strips... Stainless screws countersunk every 10" or so...

Toe rails were thru bolted to matching Hand rails insde cabin...

1978 PY26 "Lazy Lady"
JALaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JALaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 2:36pm
Thanks for the rub rail info!  The wood is beautiful -- but maintenance?  I'll have to think about that.

Queens Cup was great, but L. Michigan is a very big lake!  21 hours continuous sailing was a new experience.  If not for a strategic error 5 miles into the race, we would likely have finished a couple hours earlier -- landed about 8 miles south and had to tack north to Ludington for about two hours....
JALaman
sgancarz View Drop Down
Jedi
Jedi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgancarz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 2:47pm
Yea, it's a big lake.  And to think, you were just going across.  Try sailing the length of it.
Stephen Gancarz
1975 PY26

Racine, WI
JALaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JALaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 12:57pm
Rub rails again...  I have had very helpful response from Mark Demers at Barbour Plastics, but he needs a cross-section of the rub rail to really be sure.  Does anybody have a photo, measurement, or part number for the rub rail on a 1978 PY26?  I really want to get this ordered and put on in April -- mine is a mess.  If I figure out how to post photos, I will.
JALaman
JALaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JALaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 2:40pm
This looks very close from my photos and measurements, but unfortunately I did not realize that a cross section is what tells the entire story.  If this looks like the model to anyone that has replaced their rub rail, please let me know!

http://tacomarine.com/item--1-1-2-x-3-4-Semi-Rigid-Rub-Rail--V11-9795.html

JALaman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic